Details Details Details
Now that the bridge structure was ready, I started to add the ties, caps, and NBWs (for you non modeler folks this is a plastic casting of Nut, Bolt, Washer details). By last count I figured I had installed nearly 200 NBW's on this structure.
A quick note on the colors of the piles. These were all done with shoe dyes diluted down to a wash. I did this in stages, adding the lower color levels and then adding brushed on stains in various locations, giving the look like the prototype. Finally I used STRAIGHT india ink for the creosote look, adding it on with a scrap piece of wood to give it a non uniform look.
Why the streaking you might ask. Well...in my research I found that the creosote would run after being added to the piles. After a long time, the piles would be completely devoid of the creosote because it had run off. So believe it or not, it didn't stay on forever. (I used prototype photos for the pattern).