Let there be COLOR!
Chipping, scraping, scratching behind me, I started to stain.
I first started off with a nice base coat, color matched to the area I am modeling. The base coat was using a wash method, with the consistency being around 60% paint, 40% water. I put a healthy dose on and let it dry.
The next day I came back with an assortment of colors (browns of all shades, grey , and white) and did a wash over the rocks, adjusting the consistency for what I was needing.
Finally, I came over the surface with a black wash to help bring out the details in the rocks. This process needs a bit more tweaking, but right now I am thinking of trying out a black wash, using alcohol as the wash medium.